Sunday, March 2, 2008

Double Ear Infections...Ouch!

Jared has been having a bit of a rough time sleeping this past week due to a stuffy head and chest, but usually I can just give him his binki, pat his back and he will drift back to sleep. However, on Wednesday night I had no such luck. I tried holding and rocking him, he just squirmed and cried. I tried nursing him, he was peaceful for a minute and then he just squirmed and cried. I tried feeding him a bottle, he drank it and then he just squirmed and cried. Finally, I decided to give him some Motrin, since he was a little warmish (definitely not a real fever). After about an hour of being up, crying and grumpy, he drifted off to sleep.

I wasn't sure if it was just his teeth coming in (I can see them coming and they should be here soon), or I thought maybe it was an ear ache. However, every story I have ever heard involving ear aches/ear infections includes screaming children that are up all night long. Since Jared didn't seem to be that bothered, I thought it was a little unlikely, but it was still an option in the back of my mind. Luckily we had a doctors appointment on Friday anyway, so I didn't worry too much and just decided to keep giving him Motrin if he seemed uncomfortable. Thursday he was a little whiney all day, although he did sleep much better the next night, staying awake for a mere 20 minutes while I gently patted his back.

But, at the doctors visit on Friday morning, the doctor confirmed that yes, he had ear infections in both ears, and was cutting his top two teeth as well. I wasn't too surprised by either one. All I could think was, "Well, if this is Jared with double ear infections, I guess I am one lucky Momma!"

4 comments:

MDawg said...

Alex is also quite good natured when he has ear infections. One time I had no idea he had ear infections until one day he woke up with fluid coming out of his ear. I took him to the doctor and he indeed had a double ear infection! It is pretty nice that he doesn't seem affected by them, but it's also kind of sad to find out long after that he was probably in pain. I'm glad Jared is doing better!

Gina said...

Poor little guy! I hope it clears up soon.

Sarah said...

I have had one experience with an ear infection with all three of our kids put together, but, let me tell you, it was awful!! Max couldn't sleep. He seemed fine during the day when he was playing but at night, look out! You are a great Mom and I am sure you took great care of him!
Mir-High School Musical???? I am totally stunned.

Rachel said...

Okay, so now I think Isabelle might have an ear infection. She hasn't slept for the past couple of nights (only 30 minutes at a time). I feel like a creature from "Night of the Living Dead". I thought it was just that she was all stuffed up and couldn't breathe, but maybe it's more. We have our check-up on Monday, so I guess we'll see then. In the mean time -- I just want some sleep!!! :(